Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Cindy Sheehan - Does she really deserve an audience?

Unless you just don't pay attention to the news, you probably know who Cindy Sheehan is. Just in case you don't, her son was killed in Iraq last year, and she is holding a vigil outside George W. Bush's ranch in Texas, demanding an audience with the president.
I don't know whether it was today or yesterday, but sometime this last week, one of Bush's neighbors fired a shotgun over the group of protesters that has begun to gather. This is a heinous act that only proves hicks still exist in this country.
But the real question is: Does Cindy Sheehan really deserve an audience? What has she done that makes her more important than the millions of people who want an audience with Bush? Is it because her son was killed? That would make thousands of families eligible. Does that make her voice more important than mine? I pay my taxes. I vote. Does Bush have that kind of time? Apparently so, since he has the time to take the entire month of August off for vacation. But I digress.
With a little research, you will discover that Cindy Sheehan has already had an audience with the president. We can assume that this was a grieving session, in which Bush used the time to console Sheehan and her family. Why should she get another shot? And another thing: Who can say what her son would think? Can she really say she is speaking for him? I know I may get some flack for that, but it's the truth. It's along the same thread as Pro-War activists saying that those who died in the Twin Tower tragedy would question the patriotism of anyone who questioned the war. Did we learn nothing from Jeremy Glick on the O'Reilly Factor?
After thinking a little while, I can only come up with one answer, and that is this:
George W. Bush is a horrible, horrible president. I mean really, taking the entire month of August off? You're the president! You don't get vacations!
Sorry, I kind of veered off there. The question as to whether or not Cindy Sheehan deserves an audience becomes a moot point if we consider the fact that this whole situation stopped becoming just about a woman and her son. It's really a larger reflection of a president ignoring his country. This is a president who has held steadfast on his beliefs in spite of criticism. No, not just criticism. Facts.
I despise this man and what he has put our country through, but if I take a step back and put, for example, Bill Clinton, a president whom I admire, into Bush's position, I realize that my position on Cindy Sheehan would change. I could say that I think that Clinton would allow an audience, but there is no way to know what would happen in that situation.
All I can say is that Cindy Sheehan was allowed an audience, but now she wants another. Sorry lady. Back to the end of the line. I've got some things to say.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 PM, Blogger Muser said...

I agree that getting another meeting with Bush would be a lot to ask.

But, nonetheless I think that the reaction to her vigil and the press it has gained for the anti-war demonstration will be her lasting victory.

I think that she has already won an audience much greater and more sympathetic than Bush -- that of the American people, who probably care more than our president.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home