Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I come to you now, at the turn of the tide.

I was talking with my family over the weekend, and the topic turned to television. We came to the conclusion that something is happening with respect to the quality of television, and for the first time in....EVER....it's a good thing.

I may be jinxing things, but it looks like the horrible era of crappy, dumbed down television is coming to an end. There was a period a few years back when it seemed like the networks were going to scale back on scripted dramas and comedys to make more room for reality shows that were witnessing a boom in ratings, thanks to Survivor and American Idol. I know you all remember the slew of shitty, third rate shows that came out, all attempting to cash in on America's new fad. Temptation Island, anyone? Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire? Oh, pick me!!!

Thankfully, those seem to have gone away.

Now (and I'm not the only one to think this), it seems that the networks are finally realizing that America can handle more than gratuitous sex and shocks. We have TV shows with stories that last whole seasons (or more!), not just episodic arcs that finish up in 44 minutes. We have Lost. We have the Sopranos. We have Deadwood. And we have Veronica Mars, which, if you know me at all, you know I think is the greatest show on TV today. We have shows that emphasize characters over meaningless, forced plots. Watch Gilmore Girls for a while and tell me how boring the relationship between a mother and daughter really is.

Not only that, but the shows coming out this Fall season look to be some of the best in years. I've seen the pilot for Studio 60, and let me tell you, it's gonna be great. Of course, I would expect nothing less from Aaron Sorkin. I'm also freaking out about Heroes, Six Degrees and The Nine.

So, that's my opinion of this Golden Era of Television.

Naturally, I won't be able to watch any of it, since School will take over my life for the next seven to nine years.

Looks like I'd better stock up on VHS tapes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home